Using Images to Add a Visual Element to Your Prewriting
Why use an image search for prewriting? And, links to online image sites that I've used.
- It’s fun.
- It’s not writing. It’s visual. Works with me on a different level.
- I don’t have to worry about copyright and attribution. The images are just for my own ‘me-file’.
- It ramps up my imagination. It can fill in blanks and add richer detail to how I might envision my characters, settings, and even some plot points.
- I like the possibility of surprise: I might find a new character, a new trait for an existing character, an unexpected plot point. It can spur all kinds of ‘what if…’ thinking.
- It keeps my tech skills sharp. [web search, file management, and slide deck creation, to name three.]
Let me know if this strategy worked for you. Did the websites help? Did you follow your own path? How can I improve the explanation of this strategy?
Send along a couple of sentences reflecting on your efforts to use images for prewriting.
Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions.